- 1 Buying guide for tattoo machines
- 1.1 Know about the different types
- 1.2 Get it from a reliable dealer
- 1.3 Choose the needed size and shape
- 1.4 Focus on the quality
- 1.5 Know the types and tasks
- 1.6 Take your time with the research
- 2 Product Reviews
- 2.1 1. Dragonhawk Mast Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine Kit – Best Overall Choice!
- 2.2 2. Dragonhawk Essence Pen Style Rotary Tattoo Machine
- 2.3 3. Hawink Rotary Short Pen Tattoo Machine
- 2.4 4. Mast Tour Pen Style Short Rotary Tattoo Machine Kit
- 2.5 5. Dragonhawk Atom J2 Cartridge Tattoo Machine Kit
- 2.6 6. Dragonhawk Extreme Rotary Tattoo Machine – Best Budget Choice!
- 2.7 7. Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit
- 2.8 8. Thomas Custom Tattoo Machine Gun
- 2.9 9. Stigma Complete Tattoo Kit Pro Tattoo Machine Kit
- 2.10 10. Solong Tattoo Complete Tattoo Kit
- 2.11 11. Red scorpion Coil Tattoo Machine Gun Set
Tattooing and tattoos, in general, are gaining a lot of popularity over time. While people did frown upon this art form and the people who got it back in the days, the same is not the case anymore at all. With so many amazing tattoo artists in the making, more and more people are starting to appreciate this art form. It goes without saying that the process is anything but easy which is why it is important to ensure that you do keep an eye out on certain important things when it comes to buying a best tattoo machine for beginner.
If you are just starting with this, it is very important to ensure that you take the time out to assess things around and compare the prices too, so you don’t end up getting mugged online or even from the stores that you are buying. It is necessary that you do keep an eye out on the pros and cons or even model available and then work your way up from there.
To help you out with just that, we have sorted out top tattoo machines that you can take a peek into to kickstart your career as a tattoo artist without any restrictions at all.
Buying guide for tattoo machines
If you are a beginner, you must keep certain important aspects in mind when it comes to buying the tattoo machines. Come what may, having an insight into the important bits helps you make a better purchase.
To guide you through that, we are going to be sharing some of the important points that you need to remember when it comes to buying the tattoo machines.
Know about the different types
If you are just starting with the tattoo art, the chances are that you might not be familiar with the different types of tattoo machines which are available in the market. Irrespective of whether you are into sleeves or even the minimalistic designs, knowing about the types before making a purchase is an important part of this.
There are predominantly 5 different types of tattoo machines available in the market. They include:
Coil tattoo machine
This is possibly the most affordable type of tattoo machine and perfect for the ones who are looking to give this art form a try. Even though it is quite affordable, it is high power and quite amazing when it comes to the tattoo that’s not going to disappoint you.
Rotary tattoo machine
Next on the list is the rotary tattoo machine which runs on electric motor and is quite lightweight and perfect for the people who are just starting with tattooing. It is also amazing for the people you are tattooing on, mainly because it causes a lot less skin irritation, which is a boon.
Pneumatic tattoo machine
The pneumatic tattoo machine is a luxury and is quite expensive of them all and is thus suggested for the experienced tattoo artists who know what they are doing with it. It is run by an air compressor, which is why a very skilled hand is much needed to operate this seamlessly without any issues whatsoever.
Liner tattoo machine
This is yet another one of the easy to use and affordable tattoo machine which is perfect for the beginners who are just starting out exploring this field of profession. It is mainly used for minimalistic and liner tattoos which are much cleaner on the skin and easier to make as well.
Shader tattoo machine
Last but not the least on the list has to be the shader tattoo machine which is primarily used for shading black ink. It is slightly slower in comparison to the other available variants but is equally amazing in terms of the final results that you get on the skin. It is also one of those which cause less skin irritation or lesions on the skin as well.
Coming to the things to keep in mind before buying a tattoo machine, let us go over some of the factors, shall we?
Get it from a reliable dealer
Irrespective of whether you are buying it from an online store or even offline, it is very important to ensure that you do get one from a reliable dealer who won’t end up selling the wrong kits. The best way to judge the quality of the retailer is to ensure that you do go through the client testimonials. Check for the product reviews as well. This will help you get an even better idea about the same. Additionally, check out the support the seller provides, this account for yet another important factor that you can look out for. A good seller will provide you with all the necessary information that is required for you to know about the tattoo kit they are selling. If you want to buy it from an online store I recommend you Amazon. You will find links to top tattoo machines for beginner below.
Choose the needed size and shape
Another one of the crucial factors that one needs to pay attention to is the fact that you should get the appropriately sized tattoo machine. Don’t go ham with the biggest one you can get your hands on if you can’t even operate it in the first place. This is the reason why it is important to ensure that you do look out for the size and shape of the tattoo gun and the accessory items in the kit. If you plan on becoming a professional tattoo artist, the chances are that you might have to hold the tattoo machine for an extended period through the day. This is the reason why you must have a properly sized item purchased.
Focus on the quality
Tattoo machines don’t come cheap, which is why the last thing that you want is to end up paying more for an item that doesn’t even last you long. There are two important things that you need to look out for when it comes to the quality of the tattoo machine – the feel of it in hand along with the sturdiness of the item. You must focus on the material of the machine too because that plays an important part as well. Iron, brass, or even copper are some of the best metals that can make for a good tattoo machine. The last thing you want is to end up scarring your reputation by buying a bad quality tattoo machine.
Know the types and tasks
Tattoo artists gradually make their way up and aren’t just the ones who start by drawing sleeves. Given that it is such a delicate task and involves the actual body part of an individual, it is important that you put forth a good display of expertise on your part. While buying a tattoo machine, make sure that you look out for the types and the kind of designs that you are going to focus on. This can help you get a better insight into the kind of kit that will suit your requirement the best. Don’t rush through the decision because it will only end up creating chaos for you.
Take your time with the research
Last but not least of the things to keep in mind before buying a tattoo machine is to be thorough with your research in terms of the pricing and everything. Compare the prices around on varying stores online and offline and check with the reviews before splurging your money out blindly. This might seem easy to do, but it does take quite a bit of time. If you have friends who are into this profession, you can ask them for advice regarding this as well because they will know well.
With the list of things that one should keep in mind, the next thing that we are moving onto is the products that you can take a peek into. To help you out, we have sorted out some of the best ones available in the market right now. If you are an entry level tattoo artist, they will be perfect for you. They will also be great for experienced artists!
1. Dragonhawk Mast Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine Kit – Best Overall Choice!
First, we have Dragonhawk Mast Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine, which is a fantastic product. It is a perfect solution for every beginner, and it doesn’t require you to have an enormous amount of money. Excellent quality of the tool and beautiful tattoos that it produces makes it the best overall choice!
- Powerful Japanese motor
- Voltage varying from 6 to 9 volts
- Uses an advanced gear system which helps the tool operate without any vibration
- Compatible with all cartridge needles type
- Light, clear colors tip body
- Great ink flow
- Easy cornering
- Low profile housing
- Very portable
- Very Powerful
If you are looking for a perfect balance between money and quality, this is your choice! Great design, excellent quality of the product – if you want to make amazing tattoos, you can’t go wrong with this tool!
2. Dragonhawk Essence Pen Style Rotary Tattoo Machine
Another amazing piece from Dragonhawk is the Dragonhawk Essence Pen Style Rotary Tattoo Machine, which has a very unique and one of a kind design. While you normally do get the gun-shaped tattoo machines around, this one from Dragonhawk is definitely a lot different and is very amazing in terms of the quality of tattoo it produces.
- Pen-style rotary machine tattoo made of space aluminum frame
- Comes with Japanese motor
- Very ergonomically designed with the pen style for the easy and sturdy application
- Combination of advanced gear system with powerful motor guarantees quality tattoo
- The working voltage of 6-9 volts
- Amazing for both shading and lining
- Doesn’t create a lot of vibration
- Low sound production
- Lightweight and sturdy
- Seamless design
- Perfect for shading and lining
- Doesn’t create a lot of vibration
Coming down to the final verdict, we would definitely suggest opting for this one if you want a stable and easy to use tattoo machine for the beginning stages of your experience. It is best suggested to ensure that you do look out for the price point and get the best one because it is quite a unique design and is also easy to carry around if that is something that you need.
3. Hawink Rotary Short Pen Tattoo Machine
The Hawick Rotary Short Pen Tattoo Machine is yet another one of those pen tattoo machines that you can easily get your hands on. It is a pricey one, so if you have a budget constraint, this can be a problem for you to handle around. So, check whether it is worth your time and investment or not and then proceed along.
- Made out of aluminum alloy enclosure
- Comes with the German Faulhaber motor
- Amazingly stable and helps produce amazing results
- Quite easy to use
- Lightweight and doesn’t impose issues while drawing
- Operating voltage is in between 5-10 volts
- Looks unique and exquisite
- Powerful motor for precision and design
- Easy to use
- Integrated with German Faulhaber motor
- Unique design
- Quite expensive
If money isn’t something you are worried about and you can splurge, the Hawink Rotary Short Pen Tattoo Machine is definitely one of the best tattoo machines for a beginner available in the market. It is sometimes the first choice for the majority of the tattoo artists and all for the right reasons. The combination of the German motor and unique design is what seals the deal.
4. Mast Tour Pen Style Short Rotary Tattoo Machine Kit
Yet another one of the pen style tattoo machines that you can look into definitely has to be the Mast Tour Pen Style Short Rotary Tattoo Machine. It is not that appreciated, but the quality of the product is quite amazing for the price point. Since the pen style machines are still in working, you can most definitely take a look at this if you want to.
- Made with 25 mm aluminum alloy sleeve
- Perfect for the artists who are always on the go
- Comes with the Japanese coreless motor
- Perfect for the precise linework
- Very stable and sturdy
- Imposes less trauma on the skin, making it ideal for the customers
- LED light working
- Seamless working and easy to use
- Very lightweight weighing just 82 gms
- Lightweight yet sturdy
- Less sound
- Compact and portable
The final thing that we would definitely highlight in this is the fact that the Mast Tour Pen Style Short Rotary Tattoo Machine is one of the best in terms of the quality and the kind of results you can get with this specific one without a speck of doubt.
5. Dragonhawk Atom J2 Cartridge Tattoo Machine Kit
If you have been on the lookout for a rotary tattoo machine with cartridge needles for you to begin with your tattoo journey, the Dragonhawk Atom J2 Cartridge Tattoo Machine Kit is one of the best ones available in the market as of now.
- Comes with DC Motor for continuous operation
- Provides with long-lasting stability
- Compatible with almost all variants of cartridge needles
- Comes with 10 pieces of tattoo needle cartridges
- Fitted with the Dragonhawk airfoil tattoo power supply
- Switch frequency of 55-165 Hz
- Comes with OLED screen for optimal display
- Low noise while tattooing
- Amazing stability
- Comes with switch mode technology
Summarising it all, if you are on the lookout for something to begin your tattooing journey with, this is actually a fantastic option. It is loved as a starter kit and lets you get yourself used to the feeling of tattooing other people to move on to the more professional items.
6. Dragonhawk Extreme Rotary Tattoo Machine – Best Budget Choice!
As we did mention one product from Dragonhawk before, we couldn’t resist ourselves from sharing the Dragonhawk Extreme Rotary Tattoo Machine as well which is one of the public favorites when it comes down to the tattoo machines for the beginners.
- Comes with a very ergonomic design for sturdy usage
- Very lightweight, weighing around 6.17 oz
- Comes with the clip cord connection
- Usage of 7.5-8.5 volts for the color packing and a little higher for lining
- Multipurpose usage for shading, color packing or even the accessory work
- Very easy and comfortable to use
- Multipurpose usage
Dragonhawk is that one tattoo machine brand that never lets their consumers down and the Dragonhawk Extreme Rotary Tattoo Machine is like no other. The combination of the ergonomic design along with the amazing sturdiness and quality surpasses some of the costliest ones available around that you just can’t do without.
Also Read: Home Tattoo Removal – Natural DIY Methods!
7. Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit
Another one of the tattoo machine kits from Dragonhawk, which is a value for money definitely has to be the Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit. It comes with all the essentials that you need to get started with the process of pursuing your passion as a profession.
- Comes with 2 Pro Dragonhawk tattoo machines
- Has cast iron tattoo machine with 10 wrap coils
- Manufactured with super composite material
- High elastic spring
- Anti-fatigue property for extended usage
- Comes with Dragon hawk power supply with foot pedals
- Comes with LED digital power supply
- The kit comes with 20 Dragonhawk EO sterilize tattoo needles with disposable heads
- Complete beginner kit
- Affordable price for everything
- Ergonomically designed
If you have just mastered the art of tattooing and want to implode the same on the customers by taking this up as a profession, the Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit is an actually an amazing place to start with. Owing to the fact that you more or less get everything with this kit, you are assured of the fact that you wouldn’t have to worry about the accessory things.
8. Thomas Custom Tattoo Machine Gun
Next on the list of the amazing available tattoo machines for beginners definitely has to be the Thomas Custom Tattoo Machine Gun without a speck of doubt. It is made out of brass material, so you know from the get-go that it is going to last you for an extended time if you do use it the correct way.
- Made with the brass frame completely
- Integrated with casting technology for simpler and accurate lines
- It is an 8 wraps coil set liner
- Stable working with it that too for an extended period
- Doesn’t get heated up easily
- Durable and long-lasting
- Easy to work with
- Traditional tattoo gun design
- Makes simpler and crisp lines
- Doesn’t heat up easily
The final verdict on this is the fact that if you have been on the lookout for a traditional-looking tattoo gun to start your tattooing journey with, this is the perfect option for it. The fact that it is made out of brass further makes it a very good option because not only is it very stable and sturdy to work with, it is also quite amazing in terms of the results it produces, which is a bonus altogether.
9. Stigma Complete Tattoo Kit Pro Tattoo Machine Kit
Next on the list of the fantastic tattoo machines for beginners definitely has to be the Stigma Complete Tattoo Kit Pro Tattoo Machine Kit. It is quite an amazing one to get your hands on, given that the price point is quite good for the range of things you get in one place.
- Comes with a single rotary tattoo machine for lining and shading purpose
- Comes with 20 pieces of needle set too
- 5 popular color inks as well
- One year warranty as well
- Disposable silicon grips are also provided
- Perfect for the artists who want to practice
- Lightweight and sturdy
- Easy to use
- Warranty ensures quality
Even though they do provide with inks, they suggest using professional inks if you are opting for drawing on the human skin. It is always best suggested to ensure that you use this to practice and set your hand to do the things on the human skin finally. It is one of the best starter kits that you can get your hands on.
10. Solong Tattoo Complete Tattoo Kit
Last but not least is possibly one of the best budget-friendly and economical options when it comes to the tattoo machine kits for beginners. The Solong Tattoo Complete Tattoo Kit has taken the market by a storm with a wide range of products they provide for such a limited price point.
- Comes with 4 pro tattoo machines
- Perfect for both liner and shading purposes
- Comes with 54 bottles of ink and are sterilized, so can be used on the skin too
- Comes with 50 tattoo needles and 10 needle tips
- Sturdy and stable to use
- Very durable and lightweight
- Complete package
- Good quality accessories
The Solong Tattoo Complete Tattoo Kit is possibly one the best tattoo machine kits for the beginners who are on a tight budget and need all the equipment handy. They are good quality products too, so you don’t have to compromise on that.
11. Red scorpion Coil Tattoo Machine Gun Set
Next on the list of the amazing tattoo machines for beginners definitely has to be the Redscorpion Coil Tattoo Machine Gun Set which has garnered a lot of attention from the users who have bought and actually used it.
- Completely handmade coil with alloy material for better lasting properties
- Very stable to work with
- Provides with uniform speed for better usage
- Easy to use and makes smooth lines
- Low noise and less heat dissipation
- Strong elasticity and highly flexible
- Very durable and lasts for an extended time
- Easy to use
- Sturdy and durable
If you are starting with your tattoo business and want to test the waters out, this is actually a very good option to look into without a speck of doubt. Not only that, the quality of the material, as well as the amazing range of fine line and shading it gets done, is beyond words.
These are some of the best tattoo machines that you can look into if you are looking to practice to perfect yourself. Each one of them is good in their way, so make sure that you look through and check the one that suits your bill the best.